When buying salwar kameez, you have two options, readymade or custom-made. Which is better between the two? Here is the answer.
When planning to add more Indian ethnic outfits to your wardrobe, you should consider well-designed salwar kameez. The outfits are suitable for different occasions ranging from weddings to corporate meetings. Additionally, different salwar kameez are ideal for women of all ages and sizes. But the big question is should you buy readymade or custom-made salwar kameez? Keep reading to know which option you should go for.
Difference Between Readymade and Custom-Made Salwar Kameez?
Readymade salwar kameez are already designed and stitched outfits released to the market by different manufacturers, brands, and designers. The outfits are ready to wear. You just try if they fit you perfectly before buying. If you buy online, you need to confirm if the salwar kameez size meets your body measurements.
On the other hand, custom-made or tailor-made salwar kameez are made according to your specifications. You buy the fabric and take it to the tailor who makes the outfit as per your size and other design requirements. You can also go to the designer, pick a fabric and describe what you want the salwar suit to look like. The designer or tailor will make the Indian outfit based on your body shape, size and details required.
Benefits of Readymade Salwar Kameez
- They are readily available – The main advantage of readymade clothes is that you don’t have to go through the stress of buying fabric and looking for a tailor to stitch it for you. You just need to get to an online or physical boutique, pick what you like, and buy. It is worth noting that readymade salwar kameez are readily available in many stores, whether online or in your town. You just need to visit different stores and make your purchase. If you want something old-fashioned or the latest design, you will still find it at the stores.
- Available in different designs and fabrics – Readymade salwar kameez comes in different designs and fabrics. So if you want to buy a chiffon salwar kameez, you can easily find it on the market. Additionally, having a wider variety of readymade salwar kameez outfits on the market allows you to easily find the right outfit for different occasions or events.
- Saves time – When you buy readymade salwar kameez, it is ready to wear. But you may need to clean it first. However, when you want a custom-made salwar suit, you will have to buy fabric take it to the designer, and give him time to stitch it. That can take a few days or even more than a week.
- One can try different outfits before buying – The good thing about readymade Indian outfits is that you have an opportunity to try different outfits before you make a buying decision. You can’t compare it with custom-made ethnic outfits, where you only have one option to try. And if you don’t like it, the tailor or designer has to redo the job again.
Disadvantages of Readymade Salwar Kameez
- The main disadvantage of readymade salwar kameez is that you may have an issue with size and fitting. But this problem is solved when you try the outfit before buying. If you buy online, you should know your correct size or measurements and order salwar kameez with the same measurements.
- Quality can be an Issue – In some cases, you find different brands and designers offer readymade salwar kameez made of low-quality fabrics and stitch work. So you have to be careful when buying so that you can buy a salwar suit made of high-quality material.
- Some are very expensive – Some high-end brands offer salwar kameez and other Indian outfits at very high prices. And you may not afford to buy from some of the brands. But you can find quality, affordable salwar kameez online or at the physical store.
Benefits of Custom-Made Salwar Kameez
- Looks great on the wearer– A custom stitched salwar kameez is made according to the wearer’s size, body shape, and measurements. As a result, the attire looks great on the wearer compared to a readymade one with fitting issues.
- Can make inexpensive salwar kameez look high-end – You will buy the fabric you need and ask the tailor to stitch it as per one of the trending designs. As a result, the outfit will look like those high-end ones on the market with high price tags. For instance, you can see a celeb wearing a certain salwar kameez design and order your tailor to make an exact ‘replica’ for you. The attire will cost less money but will look very expensive.
- Attention to detail guarantees top quality – When you buy the fabric and order the tailor to make the outfit for you, you expect a well-designed and stitched salwar outfit in the end. The tailor cannot afford to make a mistake because if they do, you will not accept the outfit. So they pay attention to details, guaranteeing quality tailor-made outfits.
Disadvantages of Tailor-Made Salwar Kameez
- Takes Time – Getting a custom-made salwar kameez will take time. You will need to buy the fabric, take it to the tailor shop, and give the tailor some time to work on it. It can take several days to get the attire.
- Sometimes, quality can be an issue – If you hire an inexperienced tailor, the final outfit can have stitching and design issues. But if you hire an experienced tailor, this issue may not arise.
- Limited second-hand usability– It is very hard to sell tailor-made salwar kameez because it is designed per an individual’s body measurements and requirements.
Final Words – Which is Better?
If you don’t have all the time to go to buy the fabric, look for a tailor and wait for the attire to be made, you should buy readymade salwar kameez. The process is easy, and you can wear the outfit instantly. Additionally, you can find a wider variety of readymade salwar kameez on the market. However, if you want something special and unique, you should consider tailor-made salwar kameez.